/t/ - Does the 2nd law of thermodynamics imply the extinction of humanity?You see, entropy always increases in a closed system, such as the universe. That means that the entropy will get higher and higher. But human bodies I'm pretty sure aren't peak entropy.

/t/ - Science/Technology

For discussion of Science, Technology and Math
[Return] [Go to Bottom] [Catalog]

File: BF1CA1C6-F724-4246-A57D-B….jpeg (39.57 KB, 318x159, 2:1, 1562751779200.jpeg) [Show in Hex Viewer] [Reverse Image search]

No.149[D]

Does the 2nd law of thermodynamics imply the extinction of humanity?
You see, entropy always increases in a closed system, such as the universe. That means that the entropy will get higher and higher. But human bodies I'm pretty sure aren't peak entropy. At one point to grow further entropy will have to destroy all human bodies. Any sorts of computer human replica too, and I'm pretty sure anything that can move on its own/think. Entropy is disorder, and those two things require some order.
Am I wrong? Is there something I'm not considering?

No.151[D][DF]

>>149
As we understand it, yes, the laws of thermodyamics does imply that humans, and everything else in this universe will all end up a giant cloud of weakly interacting particles. However, scientists don't estimate that happening for another googol years or so (a 1 with 100 zeroes after it). That's plenty of time for humanity to thrive, flourish, and potentially maybe figure out a workaround for the whole entropy thing. After all, something had to put our universe into its initial high-energy low-entropy state, so who's to say it can't happen again?

No.152[D][DF]

>>151
In my opinion, humanity will go extinct long before entropy becomes an actual problem.

No.154[D][DF]

>>151
Makes sense. Thanks for restoring my hope!
>>152
Makes sense. Thanks for destroying my hope!

[Reply to this Thread]

[Return] [Go to top] [Catalog]
[Post a Reply]